Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Heart of Tithing

Not tithing doesn't show a lack of generosity, persay, but a lack of trust. When we don't tithe because we feel we do not have enough to both offer to the Lord and take care of our needs, we say, "We don't trust You to provide for us, Lord. We trust money and our own discernment." I've been guilty of it with my paychecks, believing that if I gave 10% of it, I wouldn't be able to pay my bills. Even though I have seen God honor my giving so many times, though there has never been a time - even when down to my last dollar - where He hasn't provided for my needs, I put off tithing until I had "more."

First off, it's not quantity but quality. Not the amount I give, but the heart behind it. Secondly, with that train of thought, I declared not even money my master, but myself. I hoarded the money in order to provide for myself, neglecting to even consider how I would not have any money without God and not surrendering it to Him, knowing He would provide for me. Tithing to me is not a lawful practice, but a declaration of allegiance. By giving a portion of what has been given to me back to the Source, no matter how much I have and before I use it for any other purpose, I am telling God that He is my Master, the One who directs my decisions and it is Him who I live by, not money.

It's also a declaration of faith. It says that I trust in Him and nothing else to provide everything I need - material, spiritual, emotional: every need!

One of my favorite passages is in Mark 12 where the widow gives all she has to the Lord - it's meager, but Jesus says it's more meaningful than what anyone else is tithing. Because she gave all she had! That really shows where her heart is. Like Matthew 6:21 says - where your treasure is, your heart will be also.

So I'm breaking up with money. I won't let it have any hold on me. I will surrender it to God, give as He calls me, direct it into where He leads me to and essentially letting Him be my accountant. Obviously He provides us with money as a way to take care of our needs, but we need to be mindful that it is God who is providing for us, not money. So let us surrender it all to Him, including our tight hold on our finances.

This all of course isn't to downplay the generosity aspect of tithing, which is an equally important part of it, but to explore what tithing means beyond just compassionate giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment